Is it safe to use a private key for an existing singlesig wallet as one of the keys for a new multisig wallet?

I am new to hardware wallets and self-custody so apologies if I am mixing things up or trying to do something wrong here.

I got a Blockstream Jade and playing around with air-gapped keys and wallets on Nunchuk.

I created a new wallet on the Jade and setup a singlesig wallet on Nunchuk with that key, let's call it Key #1. Did some air-gapped transactions, all good.

I want to setup a 2of2 multisig wallet on Nunchuk now. Can I create just one new wallet/private key on Jade, call it Key #2, and use the two keys I have as the two keys for the multisig? I guess two questions here:

  1. Will the singlesig wallet with Key #1 still function totally normally and independently?

  2. Is this unsafe to do? Both keys are mine and I don't plan to use the original singlesig wallet - it was just for testing.

I could just create two new keys for the multisig but it got me thinking - isn't a recovery phrase/private key the same thing as a wallet? So if you create n keys for a multisig each of those keys should on their own correspond to separate singlesig wallets in addition to being keys for the totally separate multisig wallet. Is that correct?



from Recent Questions - Bitcoin Stack Exchange https://ift.tt/0jPQxeo
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

Do Kwon’s Detention Prolonged Until 2024 As Montenegro Responds To Extradition Requests

Sam Bankman-Fried Trial Begins Tomorrow: 3 Reasons Ex-SEC Official Foresees Conviction

Ethereum Price Plummets 9% As Fed Chair Passes Hawkish Remarks